We the faculty of ______________________________ agree to join together to stamp out bullying/cyber bullying at our school.
We believe that everybody should enjoy our school equally and also enjoy a peaceful life at home while on the Internet and feel safe, secure and accepted regardless of color, race, gender, popularity, athletic ability, intelligence, religion and nationality.
Bullying can be pushing, shoving, hitting, and spitting, as well as name calling, picking on, making fun of, laughing at, and excluding someone. "Cyber bullying" is when a child, preteen or teen is tormented, threatened, harassed, humiliated, embarrassed or otherwise targeted by another child, preteen or teen using the Internet, interactive and digital technologies or mobile phones. Bullying and cyber bullying causes pain and stress to victims and is never justified or excusable as "kids being kids," "just teasing" or any other rationalization. The victim is never responsible for being a target of bullying or cyber bullying.
By signing this pledge, we the school and faculty agree to:
- Develop a clear school policy on bullying/cyber bullying and display it prominently in classrooms and around the school.
- Train faculty in appropriate handling of incidents.
- Develop or adopt a curriculum that educates students about bullying/cyber bullying.
- Teach students about less obvious forms of bullying/cyber bullying like gossiping and exclusion.
- Discuss pro-active anti- bullying/cyber bullying measures (such as having lunch with a student who has been excluded in the past).
- Establish support systems for pupils involved in incidents such as peer counseling and mediation.
- Establish a system to support and inform parents when incidents of bullying/cyber bullying occur.
- Offer counseling to students who bully/cyber bully.
- Ensure an atmosphere where students feel safe reporting incidents of bullying/cyber bullying and confident they will be dealt with and not ignored.
- Report all incidents of bullying/cyber bullying immediately to the principal.
- When an incident is reported all students involved will be given the opportunity to give their version of the incident.
- Put in place sanctions for bullying/cyber bullying such as verbal warnings, removal from a classroom or school grounds, a verbal or written apology to the victim, a parent teacher meeting, and detention or expulsion for repeat offenders.
- Monitor cases of persistent of bullying/cyber bullying and be fully informed of all incidents and their progress.
Signed by: _______________________________________
Print name: _______________________________________